Tuesday 15 February 2011

Can Bark Mulch be dangerous for pets?

While bark mulch is perfect to help your garden fight weeds and keep moisture locked within the soil can it be dangerous for our family pets? While most bark mulch is not poisonous to pets they can still cause a major headache for pet owners.

Although as said bark mulch is not dangerous in any way to pets the small pieces can be a nightmare for pet owners especially dogs and puppies because of the small pieces dogs will usually pick these up and eat them as if they are treats. Although the bark mulch doesn’t contain any poison it can get stuck within your pets throat and cause it to choke.

To help prevent dogs from eating bark mulch you can look at picking pine bark mulch for your garden as it is allot bigger and will be harder for your dogs to swallow. Pink bark mulch will still contain all of the nutrients and prevention skills as normal bark mulch but it will make it allot harder for pets to eat.

Allot of dog owners think it is fine to play with a dog using a wooden stick this however can be very dangerous although owners love to play with sticks they need to know the risks they run when using them with a dog, yes it can be fun but the back particles can easily snap off within a dogs mouth and cause the mouth to splinter and cut the inside of the mouth.

This can then cause your pet dog to get small abscesses on the inside of his mouth from where you have been letting him chew on a small stick. The abscess can also lead to digestive issues and can cause allot more health issues down the line.

While normal bark mulch is not poisonous to dogs there is a specific bark which you should take allot of care with and that is cocoa mulch as this is very poisonous to dogs according to recent research. The smell and taste can attract dogs but it will kill your pet dog, we would advise you remove all cocoa bark mulch as soon as possible and replace wit pet safe bark mulch.

9 comments:

  1. Is regular topsoil in utah fine for dogs and animals? I never realized this. Thank you for the information. I really needed it. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this post. I am wondering about how much it is going to cost me to put
    landscape mulch into my yard, and if you know of any local companies in Utah that could do the job for me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all the advice. I need to try some new topsoil in Edmonton, AB and this is good to know. I wouldn't want to get anything that would hurt my dog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I've been trying to find some topsoil in Puyallup WA, but don't know what to really look for or expect. This has given me some new insights and things to look for. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never thought about that. It works great with kids. At least I have never seen a kid eating it. I don't know about animals.
    Bill | http://www.randlessandandgravel.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will make sure to not get this type of mulch when I start my landscaping project. I think this will help me rest easy when my dog goes in the backyard. Unfortunately for me, he tends to eat everything that he sees! http://watsongravel.com/products.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great article. I know that for my use i need the top soil. Lucky I don't own any pets so I'm good on that front according to the article. This article really helped me know my options. http://watsongravel.com/products.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never heard of mulch being dangerous for pets. I am currently living in a n apartment, so I don't have to worry about my pet being around mulch too much. I would hate for anything to happen to him, especially if I was the one that caused it. I would feel so terrible.

    http://www.randlessandandgravel.net

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to know, thanks. I'm new to landscaping and gardening, so I haven't chosen a topsoil yet. I'm leaning toward this bark mulch around the trees, and then a softer mulch around the flowerbeds. I'll make sure to check everything I use, because I have a puppy that eats everything. http://www.johnaartsgroup.com

    ReplyDelete